WHEN SHOULD I GET BAPTIZED?
When you believe that Jesus Christ is your Lord and Savior and you want to live your life for him. It's as simple as that. Sometimes we feel there are other "requirements": to be like other people who appear to be more spiritual, having our life together a certain way, or conquering a particular sin in our life, but all Jesus wants is someone who genuinely believes and trusts in him.
WHAT ARE THE STEPS TO BEING BAPTIZED?
- Share with your parents and friends about why you want to be baptized
- Talk to your pastor about it, then you'll be instructed on the following:
- Go through a baptism class and pass the baptism exam
- Complete an approved testimony of your Christian faith
- Fill out the church baptism application form (in copier room)
- Have a baptism interview
- Go through instructions on the logistics of the baptism
- Set a date and invite your friends and family!
HOW DO I WRITE A TESTIMONY?
Basically it's a "life story" that focuses on the spiritual part of your life. So it's like an autobiography, but it's not really about covering all the area of your life, but more about explaining how you've grown spiritually. Things that you might include could be:
Some of these might apply to you more than others, but the more you can include, the better. It's helpful not just for you to think through it all, but also a blessing for other people to read and hear! Hopefully the things above will outline your journey of spiritual faith, how you got to the point of being baptized now, and look towards the future. It's not unusual for people to have about a page and half to two pages (double spaced) of a story.
- Family's religious background
- Earliest memories or thoughts of spirituality, God, religion, or church
- Significant moments of spiritual change, whether growth or not
- People that have influenced what you believe and how you've learned of God
- Where you are with God right now
- Hopes for your spiritual growth in the future